- UC Los Angeles Engineering, Psychology
- UC Berkeley Statistics, Sociology, Media Studies
- UC Santa Barbara Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Social Sciences
- UC Irvine Chemistry, Earth System Science, Mathematics, Physics, Astronomy
- UC San Diego Computer Science, Biomedical Engineering, Biology
- UC Davis T Agriculture, Veterinary Medicine, Biological Engineering, Agricultural Engineering
- UC Santa Cruz Astrophysics, Marine Biology, Computer Science
- UC Riverside Engineering, Business
- UC Merced: Psychology
One of the key differences between UC and CSU is their academic offerings. CSU is known for basing its courses and degree programs on practical applications and non-research-oriented careers. ... Meanwhile, the UC system has an excellent reputation for research and theory-based teaching.
Cal State vs Cal Poly
The key difference between a Cal State school and a Cal Poly school lies in their academic offerings. Both Cal Poly schools focus on academic programs in applied sciences and technical arts. Students at CSU's polytechnic universities generally go on to careers in the scientific or technical world. https://www.campusexplorer.com/college-advice-tips/DB211AF0/Cal-State-vs-Cal-Poly-What-s-the-Difference/
What is the best state college in California?
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. This California State University campus consistently earns high marks for academic excellence, value, sustainability, social mobility, and more. Since Cal State universities aren’t as selective and competitive as the UC schools, there isn’t much distinction between them. Out of all the CSU schools, San Diego State University and Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo have the highest academic reputations and the lowest acceptance rates. If you’re still not sure whether you want to go to a UC or CSU school, here’s a list of Cal State universities from north to south.
Why not to a Community college instead?
Transferring from CSU to UCs is very hard
What's with SJSU?
For CS majorSJSU program is deemed as good as UC-SD
One reason for the low 4-year grad rate is horrible graduation advisors. 10-years ago cal state has several layoffs with huge budget cuts hence quality suffered. CSUs also bring a LOT of diversity since they give the written-off students a chance. These enrollments impact their graduation rates.
List of all CSUs
- Humboldt State University
- CSU Chico
- CSU Sacramento
- Sonoma State University
- CSU Maritime Academy
- CSU East Bay
- San Francisco State University
- CSU Stanislaus
- San Jose State University
- CSU Fresno
- CSU Monterey Bay
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- CSU Bakersfield
- CSU San Bernardino
- CSU Northridge
- CSU Channel Islands
- California Polytechnic State University, Pomona
- CSU Los Angeles
- CSU Dominguez Hills
- CSU Fullerton
- CSU Long Beach
- CSU San Marcos
- San Diego State University
The California State University (CSU) system is comprised of 23 campuses across California. The CSUs offer students affordable access to undergraduate and graduate education. Based on reputation and selectivity, these are, in my opinion, the top 6 Cal State Universities:
6. San Jose State University - the school is located in Northern California’s Silicon Valley, making it the ideal college for students pursuing careers in computer science, information technology, business management, marketing, and finance. SJSU is also known for its excellent engineering program, which is ranked #18 for non-doctorate programs by US News and World Report.
5. Cal State University, Fullerton - CSUF’s Mihaylo College of Business and Economics is the largest accredited business school on the West Coast, and includes one of the largest undergraduate accounting programs in the US. The nursing program is extremely competitive and offers unique specializations in midwifery and anesthesia. Additionally, Fullerton boasts strong programs in engineering (#45 in non-doctorate engineering programs, US News), kinesiology, communications, and teaching.
4. California State Polytechnic University, Pomona - As a polytechnic institute, Cal Poly Pomona specializes in science and engineering fields. Its engineering department is one of the best in the country, reaching #11 for non-doctorate engineering programs, and #5 in the nation in civil engineering, computer engineering and electrical/electronic/communications engineering by US News. In addition, the Collins College of Hospitality Management is one of the best in the world and was ranked #19 for Best Hospitality and Hotel Management Schools in the World by CEO World Magazine. Other strong programs include business administration, graphic design, and architecture.
3. Cal State University, Long Beach - CSU Long Beach is ranked #26 by US News for Best Regional Universities West. With its ever-growing reputation for strong programs in business administration, nursing, criminal justice, and teaching, Long Beach State continues to be more and more selective each year, admitting less than 32% of applicants in 2018.
2. San Diego State University - SDSU’s Fowler College of Business is ranked in the top 10 best business schools in California by US News. With the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center and the Zahn Innovation Platform Launchpad, SDSU is recognized as one of the top universities for entrepreneurship. Additional popular majors include psychology, criminal justice, and kinesiology.
1. California State Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo (SLO) - Cal Poly San Luis Obispo is ranked #12 by US News for Best Regional Universities West. With a record low acceptance rate of 25% in 2019, Cal Poly SLO is by far the most competitive and most exclusive Cal State University. As a polytechnic institute, SLO specializes in science and engineering fields. Its engineering program is one of the best in the nation, ranking #8 overall by US News for Best Non-Doctorate Undergraduate Engineering Programs. In fact, SLO ranks in the top 3 for non-doctorate schools for the following engineering specializations: aerospace/aeronautical/astronautical, civil, computer, industrial/manufacturing, electrical/electronic, and mechanical.
Top 10 Community Colleges in California
- #1 Irvine Valley College IRVINE, CA
- #2 Moorpark College MOORPARK, CA
- #3 Mt San Antonio College WALNUT, CA
- #4 Las Positas College LIVERMORE, CA
- #5 Diablo Valley College PLEASANT HILL, CA
- #6 Imperial Valley College IMPERIAL, CA
- #7 Santiago Canyon College ORANGE, CA
- #8 De Anza College CUPERTINO, CA
- #9 Pasadena City College PASADENA, CA
- #10 Hartnell College SALINAS, CA
- only 40% of community college students who seek four-year degrees are successful in transferring to one of the state's four-year universities.
- One in five (20%) of community college students transfer to a four-year institution
- Even though more than 81% of beginning community college students indicated they wanted to earn at least a bachelor's degree, only 33% of these students actually make the transfer to a 4-year school within six years
- Make a Plan: If you have a goal, making a plan to achieve that goal is the best thing you can do. Why? Because having a plan will keep you on track to make sure you're doing the right things at the appropriate time.
- Research the University Requirements: Now that you have a plan, you need to gather as much information as you can about the transferring process and the university's requirements for admission. Many community colleges have articulation agreements with four-year universities to make transferring pretty easy.
- Finish Your Associate's Degree: According to the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center, about 60 percent of community college students who transfer to a four-year university graduate with a bachelor's degree or a higher degree within four years. That number doesn't seem too bad, but if the community college student has earned their associate's degree before transferring, that number increases to 71 percent! This means if you're serious about going to a four-year university and earning a bachelor's degree or even a higher degree, you're more likely to do it after you've already earned your associate's degree.